Secure Login System
IB is committed to protecting your account and your account assets from fraudulent practices. The Secure Login System provides an extra layer of security to your account at no charge1 through the use of a free physical security device or IB Key, our digital security application designed for smartphones. Although it requires an extra step when logging into your account, the simple practice of entering a randomly generated security code along with your username and password goes a long way toward protecting your account.
Consider this: if an Internet hacker or identity thief should somehow manage to obtain your IB username and password, they WILL NOT be able to access your account without physical possession of your Secure Login System security device.
While the Secure Login System program is optional, we STRONGLY urge all of our clients to participate. Consider these benefits:
- The security device provides a virtually impenetrable layer of physical security to your IB account.
- Participation in the program results in higher daily and weekly withdrawal limits.
- If you have multiple accounts, you don't need multiple devices. You can share a security device among multiple usernames registered to the same individual.
Physical Security Devices
Click one of the following links to learn more about IB physical security devices:
- Security Code Cards - Available to accounts with a balance of less than 500,000 USD, this is a credit card-like device with 224 alpha-numeric codes.
- Digital Security Card+ - Available to accounts with a balance greater than 500,000 USD, this is an enhanced version of the Digital Security Card that adds an extra layer of security through the use of a challenge code and a higher count of possible code permutations.
IB Key provides two-factor authentication for your IB account via an app downloaded to your Android or iOS mobile device. IB Key is available to accounts with a balance up to 1,000,000 USD and requires a PIN code or fingerprint to operate. You use IB Key instead of a physical security device.
How to Request a Security Device
- New Clients - Register for a security device during the application process. You will receive the appropriate device based on the amount with which you fund your account.
- Existing Clients - Request a device from the Request Security Device page in Account Management (select Manage Account > Security > Secure Login System > Security Device from the Account Management menu). Follow the instructions on the page to indicate that you would like to participate in the Secure Login System program.
- IB Key - If you choose to use IB Key, download the iOS version from the App Store or the Android version from Google Play. For detailed instructions, see IB Knowledge Base article KB2260.
When Will I Receive My Device?
We ship physical security devices every day. Projected delivery times range from several business days to several weeks, depending on your shipping address and local delivery options. IB Key is downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.
Once you have received your physical security device, log into Account Management and select Manage Account > Security > Secure Login System > Security Device from the menu. Follow the instructions on the page to activate your device.
IB Key users must first install the application from the respective mobile application store. For detailed instructions, see IB Knowledge Base article KB2260.
Once your security device or digital security app is activated, each time you log in to Account Management, TWS, WebTrader or mobileTWS, you will be required to enter two authentication factors – your username and password combination and the security code generated by your device. When you successfully log in, your account will be secured with full perimeter coverage, protecting both your cash and positions from unauthorized access.
How to Request a Replacement Security Device
In the event that your physical security device has been lost, stolen or is inoperable, follow the instructions in IB Knowledge Base article KB1943.
Clients who participate in the Secure Login System enjoy enhanced withdrawal capabilities, while clients who do not participate are subject to daily and weekly withdrawal restrictions. The amount that a participating client may withdraw or transfer over a given one- or five-day period increases commensurate with the protective value of the device and is outlined in the table below.
Withdrawal Limits for IB Customers
||Maximum Withdrawal per Day
||Maximum Withdrawal in 5 Business Days
|Security Code Card
|Digital Security Card*
|Digital Security Card+
* Represents a legacy device no longer being issued and in the process of being replaced with a version of the Digital Security Card. See IB Knowledge Base article KB975 for details.
 Please note that while IB imposes no fee to use a device, a replacement fee is associated with certain devices if lost , damaged or otherwise not returned should the account be closed.