The Flat Fee Referral Program is available to select individuals1 who specialize in training, coaching, providing trading information, systems and tools, or related professional services. Professional services may include websites, forums, seminars, scheduled courses, or other training or educational programs. Referrers may not present themselves as financial advisors or brokers to clients and may not provide direct trading advice or recommendations with respect to any specific transaction or specific investment product.
US-based referrers can earn a flat fee of $200 for each referral who maintains an active IB account for one year. Non-US referrers2 can earn 30% of the referral’s commissions up to $200.
In order to participate in the referral fee program you must first fill out the application.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive a confirmation email along with: (1) a unique referral code, (2) instructions to send personalized email invitations and (3) instructions to generate a unique hyperlink to our account application page that you can use for referrals. You can use any of the three methods to refer clients and earn fees. To use the referral code, you must ensure that prospects enter the referral code during the account opening process. Alternatively, any accounts opened through the personalized emails or your hyperlink will be recognized as your referrals. In order for you to receive the referral bonus, the referred client must meet all of the criteria listed in the Payout Rules below.
Payouts to referrers in the United States are subject to the following rule:
- Customer must maintain a balance of at least $10,000 USD for one year.
Payouts to referrers outside of the United States are subject to the following rules:
- For each referral, IB will pay 30% of commissions up to $200.00.
- The first payment of $100.00 will be sent when the referred account reaches $333.34 in commissions.
- The second payment of $100.00 will be sent when the referred account reaches $666.67 in commissions.
- Referred clients must maintain at least $10,000 or USD equivalent in their account.
- Payouts are available for up to one year from the opening of the referred customer's account. No payouts will be made for commissions generated after the first year.
- Please note that you cannot participate in both the Flat Fee Referral and IB Financial Advisor programs.
- Due to regulatory restrictions, IB can neither accept referrers from Spain, nor pay referral fees for accounts originating in Spain.
A commission markup referral account is an account structure that consists of a referral master account and linked client accounts. The referrer sends client account invitations to interested clients who then register online with Interactive Brokers by opening and configuring their own trading accounts. A referral master account user can view the status of linked client accounts but does not have account administration, funding or trading access to its client accounts.
Customers who you refer will pay the markup fee, as outlined below.
In order to participate in the referral fee program you must fill out the application.
A commission markup referral account must be an organization1:
- Limited Liability Corporation
- Unincorporated Business
Client accounts referred by a commission markup referrer must be one of the following types of Interactive Brokers accounts:
- Individual, Joint and Trust
- Proprietary Trading Group (Pool Account or Single Trading Limit Account)
Commission markup referrers enjoy these benefits:
- Send clients2 invitations and track client commissions.
- An account structure consisting of a master account and linked client accounts.
- Referral master account users can view client account status (open, funded, traded).
- Referrers can set up multiple users at the master account level to perform Account Management functions such as sending out client registration links.
Only clients can perform account administration, funding, trading access and user management functions for their accounts in Account Management.
Referral Fee Schedule
IB commission markup referrers earn fees for each eligible client referral, for up to three years. The fees are markups that are paid by the referred client. Referral fees are paid according to the following schedule:
- 30% of commissions in Year 1
- 20% of commissions in Year 2
- 10% of commissions in Year 3
The program ends after three years.
- Please note that you cannot participate in both the Commission Markup Referral and IB Financial Advisor programs.
- This offer is not available to customers in the US, Canada, or Spain.