You can create a new account that will be managed by an Advisor or Broker and that will be linked to your existing account.
In this topic:
- Rules for creating a new linked account managed by an Advisor or Broker
- Creating a new linked account managed by an Advisor or Broker
- Creating the linked account from the Investors' Marketplace
The following rules apply to this type of linking:
- You will have two linked accounts that you can access using a single username and password. One account will be managed by an Advisor or Broker.
- Trading permissions for your existing account will also apply to the new Advisor- or Broker-managed account, but any permission to which the Advisor or Broker is not entitled will be removed.
- The Advisor or Broker will not be able to enable trading for me in the accounts he or she manages, and you will still be able to trade in your existing standalone account.
- Once your account has been linked, fees may be debited from your account as specified by the Advisor or Broker.
- The selected Advisor or Broker must approve your link request and the new linked account will be open by 6:00 PM on the same business day.
- Note that if you submit a request for a new linked account after 4:00 PM, the account will be open by 6:00 PM on the next business day.
- Click Settings > Account Settings.
- In the Configuration panel, click the Configure (gear) icon for Create, Move, Link or Partition an Account.
- Select the radio button next to Create a new linked account that will be managed by an Advisor or Broker, and then click CONTINUE.
- Enter the account ID and title of the Advisor or Broker account to which you want to link in the fields provided.
- Click CONTINUE.
- Type your signature in the field provided in each of the agreements that appear. Click I Agree after signing each agreement.
- An email will be sent to the Advisor or Broker to inform him or her of your request. The Advisor or Broker must approve your request (in Pending Items) before you new linked account is open.
You can also create a new linked account to an Advisor or Broker from the Advisor or Broker Marketplaces, both part of the Investors' Marketplace.
To create the link from Investors' Marketplace
You can use Investors' Marketplace to identify the Advisor or Broker, and then can access the Create, Move, Link or Partition an Account screen from the Marketplace.
- Use the Advisor Marketplace or Broker Marketplace to search for and select an Advisor or Broker.
- Click the Link button in the individual Advisor or Broker listing. The Advisor/Broker Account Setup page opens.
- Click the radio button that corresponds to your choice. Read the descriptions carefully to understand the difference between the options.
- Enter the Account ID and Account Title of the Advisor or Broker account to which you want to link in the fields provided. Since you already selected the Advisor or Broker in the Investors' Marketplace, these fields will be filled in already.
- Click CONTINUE.
- Sign each of the two required agreements and click I Agreeafter signing each one.
- An email will be sent to the Advisor or Broker to inform him or her of your request. The Advisor or Broker must approve your request (in Pending Items) before your new linked account is open.
© 2020 Interactive Brokers, LLC - Client Portal Users' Guide