Open topic with navigation
Use the Account Type page to upgrade your Cash account to a Margin account, or upgrade your Margin account to a Portfolio Margin account. Before you can upgrade to a margin account, you must meet the eligibility requirements of those accounts.
Who can access the Account Type page?
You can change your account type on this page if you are a(n):
- Individual, Joint, Trust or IRA Account User
- Small Business Account User
- Friends and Family Group Master or Client User (master user cannot change the Account Type of the master account)
- Advisor Client User Individual
- Advisor Client User Organization
- Proprietary Trading Group Master User
- Broker Master User (can also change the Account Type of Non-Disclosed client accounts)
- Broker Fully Disclosed Client User
To upgrade to a margin account
- Click Manage Account > Settings > Configure Account > Account Type.
- In the Account Type drop-down, select the type of margin account to which you want to upgrade.
To upgrade to a Portfolio Margin account, you must be approved to trade options.
- Click Continue.