Print this page as a checklist for opening an account.
- Complete the Investment Manager Electronic Application
There are two ways to submit an application: electronically, or by paper. All methods are available after selecting Account Management.
- Fully electronic (for fastest processing).
You will be asked to establish a username and password at the beginning of the process so that all the information you enter will remain secure. While most customers will complete their application in a fully electronic fashion, we are sometimes required to receive paper documents which should be forwarded to the addresses listed under Contact Us/Document Submission Information on the IB website.
- Paper. Print out a paper application, complete, sign and send the application to IB Account Processing. We are sometimes required to receive additional paper documents which should be forwarded to the addresses listed under Contact Us/Document Submission Information on the IB website.
- Fund Your Account
You are not required to fund your account but if you'd like to do so, you will be presented with several options at the end of the registration process.
Send a check* (with your deposit instruction form, application or account number written on the check) or wire (call or visit your bank to initiate) as specified in your deposit instructions to IB. Electronic Funds Transfer (ACH), Broker-to-Broker Transfer (ACAT), and IB Internal Transfers will automatically transfer. If we do not receive your funds in 45 days from approval the account will be closed.
- Application Review
We will review your application for approval once your entire application has been completed. Your application is complete once there are no outstanding application tasks within Finish Application, located in the Login drop-down list in the upper right corner of the IB homepage. Sometimes after you have completed the application we require additional steps. You will be notified by email and within Login/Complete Application if this is the case.
- Application Review Results
You will be notified by email and within Login/Complete Application of the results of our application review. Fully completed applications will be processed within 48 business day hours under normal business conditions.
- Submit an Application for Each Fund
Print out a paper application under Login/Account Management. You have two options:
- You can complete the required information and send the form to the fund. They should designate someone as an authorized person to sign on behalf of the fund, and then send the application to IB Account Processing.
- You can send the application to the fund. Their authorized person should complete and sign on behalf of the fund, and then send the application to IB Account Processing.
You may log into Account Management at any time to see the status of the fund's applications.
*Checks or bank drafts are not available for IB Canada customers.